Monday, June 13, 2011

Dwight Howard Will Become a Free Agent in 2012

I could write an article about how LeBron choked yet again when it mattered and how the Mavericks had a much stronger desire to win the NBA championship. I could write about how LeBron continues to be an arrogant son of a bitch who continues to fail to grasp the concept of karma. I could write about how Mark Cuban and some Mavericks players are taking cheap, classless shots at the Heat players and fans in the wake of their defeat. I could also write about how there's a strong possibility of an NBA lockout next season.

Instead I'm going to write about the 2nd biggest NBA story of the day: Dwight Howard has declined a contract extension with the Orlando Magic and will officially be a free agent at the end of the 2011-12 season. Howard was very clear why he did not sign the extension, saying, "I want to win a championship. I think the owners have to really know that. That's been my goal and my mission since I've been in the NBA -- to win a championship. I don't have side goals or agendas. My main goal is to win a championship. I want to have 14 other guys who feel the same way."

That's pretty heavy. By that statement, you might imply that Howard means that he wants some trades to happen because he's not happy with the Magic roster. Just in case that was vague for you, Howard said this, "Sometimes guys are there whole-heartedly and then sometimes I've had teammates allow people getting in their ears and things like that effect the way that they play and approach the game." So yeah, Dwight Howard is now holding the Magic ransom. Either they build a championship caliber team full of guys who want to win, or he's leaving.

Seeing how Otis Smith runs things in Orlando, I seriously doubt any trade he makes could satisfy Howard. The Magic had a team that made it to the NBA Finals only 2 years ago and this year they were beaten in the first round. That's a clear sign that Otis Smith is an awful general manager and should not be allowed anywhere near players.

To Dwight: Don't even bother holding the Magic ransom, just accept to a sign-and-trade with the team you really want to play for! Or if Kobe comes knocking at your doorstep saying he wants you to play for him because he's tired of whiny Bynum, don't be like Raja Bell. Look how well he's doing now after declining Kobe's offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment